Saturday, February 12, 2011

Tripping the Light Fantastic



          Ulysses I have shrugged
          by Sinbad I conspired
          on the heels of Achilles
          I hitched a ride on Halley's tail
          and feigned Columbus on a starship
          a castaway on the Flying Dutchman
          high and dry
          or a prisoner atop
          the Castle of the Pyrenees
          My name is not Ishmael
          but I will be free
          so long as I may serve on Ahab's ship
          I did not circle this world to stay
          thus Magellan I did betray

          Come sail with me
          I want you by my side
          my princess for a millennium
          come romp with me on a starry ride
          and trip the light fantastic!

          I'll take you on an airship
          and skim the cloud tops of Jupiter
          We'll spend our honeymoon on the moon
          and dine by the waters of Neptune's seas
          We'll gallop through the galaxy's domain
          around the Horsehead Nebula's mane
          We'll star-hop 'round the Pleiades
          and ride the crest of the shockwave
          of a supernova!
          I'll take you ice skating around
          the rings of Saturn
          We'll play hide and seek in
          the Motari Nebula
          or a joyride through the Asteroid Belt
          and have cereal
          in the Milky Way

          I want to waltz with you in Kubric's space
          to the Blue Danube in weightless grace

          We'll see seabeams glitter in the dark
          by the Tienhausser Gates
          Attack ships on fire off the shoulders of Orion
          burning with the fires of Org

          Or we may, in our solitude
          watch Scorpius rise from the Sea of Cortez
          a candlelight dinner on the Observatory's balcony
          to gaze at the gibbous moon near Mt. Baldy
          and play tag on the 210 freeway

          These memories and images
          in the past, in the present, in the future
          or in fantasy
          will live in my mind and in my heart
          even when the universe has collapsed
          and another big bang occurs

          And I will love you all over again...